The software project that I have been working on for the past few months is being built in Laravel 4. With the new edition of Laravel 4, bundles are now being built as packages which are pulled into the project via Composer. What’s that mean? It’s like building chunks of the software into plugins that can be re-used for other projects… Nifty.
I do all of my local dev work using MAMP on Mac OSX, and we use GitHub for version control. Periodically, I have to crack open Terminal and update composer to pull in the latest versions of our Laravel Packages. Being that I’m the Front-End guy on the team, I don’t use Windows like the rest of the crew… So when something goes wrong with Git and OSX, I’m typically left to my own devices and some Google Searches.
The other day I updated my Mac to the new OSX Mavericks, which is an awesome free upgrade (thanks Apple)! Unfortunately, this upgrade did cause a few odd things to happen with my mac. First, I had to re-install Java to open any of my Creative Suite Applications. Next, my Composer updates suddenly stopped working.
When I went to update the Vendor folder with all of the packages in the local Dev environment, I ran into an issue. I ran the usual,
php composer.phar install command after dumping the vendor folder and composer.lock folder, only to face a big red error. Man, those red errors are scary, especially for someone who just started learning to use command line a couple of months ago.
That error didn’t make much sense to me, except that Git was apparently not found. First I tried to run my install script in a different way:
php phar.composer install --prefer-dist compliments of this thread. No luck.
I looked at the error a bit more…
“Agreeing to the Xcode/iOS license requires admin privileges, please re-run as root via sudo.”
Ah! Ok, X-code was obviously re-installed with OSX Mavericks. So the answer to this issue is simple. I simply had to run:
sudo xcodebuild -license
This allowed me to view the X-code licence, and then agree to the terms. Voila, that’s it. Everything worked just fine after that.
I’ve since sent this quick fix to my dev friends using GitHub and the Mac. Hope this helps someone else out there!